Like it

Monday, July 19, 2010

The start of something...

So finally I got this thing up and running. (The name is tentative...any suggestions?) So this is my internet space where I can do what I love...talk about, think about, read about, research about, dream about film.

Who am I...?
No one in particular, I'm no film student, I'm no aficionado, I didn't go to Juillard, I don't write movie reviews for the New York Times and I don't have my own TV show. I'm just a lover of all things film. I love watching movies, reading about movies, discussing (some times at great lengths) ideas about movies, learning more then what is just on screen, quoting movies and experiencing them at home or in the theater. I'm just a normal guy who loves movies and I'm guessin that's what most people are.

Why read this? Well read it because I'm a normal person who isn't gonna force my ideas on you but try to open your eyes up a bit to what the world of film has to offer. Trust me there is more to see then Piranha 3d and Twilight (sorry lovers of Twilight). I want to be a little more then a "regular" movie goer. I try to dip my cinephile mind into any type of movie I can get a hold of (minus most romantic comedies, horror and Twilight). I enjoy mainstream Hollywood, I like small stream indie, I like foreign, documentary, artistic, sci-fi, genre, drama, comedy...I don't like horror because unlike some I like being able to have a comfortable nights sleep.

What I want to do? I want to review movies some you have seen, some you haven't seen but heard of, and some you've never even knew existed. This may or may not help you to watch something different and open your eyes up to a great experience you probably wouldn't have had. If you have Netflix, it will benefit you a little more then someone who didn't. I want to recommend an instant watch and a dvd movie of the week (or few days)...again trying to expand your movie consciousness. Also share a little bit of news to maybe get you excited about cinema you've heard of or haven't. Also I have a lot to say about movies so maybe I'll throw out a comment or two.

What you have to do? Nothing, this will still exist regardless if there is one or one hundred people reading (I find this also therapeutic and satiates my narcissistic ways) If you'd like you can take 10 mins outa your day, look at what I've got to post or say, and disagree, agree, fight with, or discuss with me.

When will this be updated? I wish I could do it every day, but I'm guessing every few days or after I've watched a movie, which sometimes could be the next day or a week. (hopefully it's shorter then a week)

So with no further ado...my first blog review

Why not review the one original, movie saving movie of 2010
INCEPTION

Now if you haven't seen this movie yet, you really should. What makes this movie great is that its one of very few original idea movies that have been out for awhile with this much exposure. Christopher Nolan (director: the newest Batman franchise Memento) has written and directed this movie. No based on a true story, based on an existing property this all spawned in his ingenious mind. The movie tells the story of Dom who is the best at going into peoples dreams and stealing their secrets. He has a team that he uses to infiltrate the subconscious and ends up taking on a job where instead of stealing ideas he must perform an INCEPTION!!!! He must plant an idea into the son of a lucrative business man. OR ELSE! Dom has some heavy subconscious luggage which causes a few problems.

Movies are at their best when you sit down and you instantly have a feeling of belonging in the universe of the film. Some people are complaining there is too much exposition, but I felt like what exposition was done well. We are introduced into a new world with some new rules we don't know and need to know to further on the movie. I felt like these rules were explained in a "the audience isn't dumb" approach, where sometimes you can get that "The audience IS that dumb" approach. Once you get a grasp of the rules, which you probably won't 100%, the movie takes off and is filled with suspense for about 45-50 mins. At one point I had to remind myself to breath. Hans Zimmer (composer:The Dark Knight, The Last Samurai, Rain Man) builds this tension and suspense with his
ear raping collection of sounds. The movie though is set in the "architecture of your mind" has a grand feel (which is why I recommend IMAX). A grandiose mission, setting and turns of events. This movie plays out like a con movie where you have your mission and your people with special talents, and the only person you really get to know anything about is Leo's which is fair enough for me. JGL def kicked some ass though. The idea of this film is also captivating, these ideas feel real..."Think about it, do you ever really remember the beginning or end of your dreams?" It's true for me. The acting was spot on, I had a problem with "juno's" character becase she was introduced in a haste and seemed to be the "guardian angel" of leo even though he barely knew her...oh well still stellar.

All in all a great movie experience and I really hope this movie takes off


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


NETFLIX INSTANT WATCH OF THE WEEK: Brick, an amazing take on the noir/detective film set in modern day highschool, very dark and though provoking

Here is the IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/




NETFLIX DVD OF THE WEEK: Pulp Fiction...the start of my love for film


A Little Movie News:
THE RETURN OF AVATAR
Some of you saw this movie and loved it (most of you), some of you saw it and thought it was the most overrated pretentious crap you've ever seen (few of you), some didn't see it and wanted to, some didn't see it and didn't want to because you thought it would be dumb. WHATEVER THAT MAY BE...its being re-released in IMAX 3-D and Real 3-D screens. To some people like my father who only have one good eye this is no good for you because there will be no 2-D showing (so you gotta see the movie the way it was intended to be seen). Also there will be 8 mins of additional never before seen footage. The magical date AUGUST 27TH!!!!!! As some of you who know me...OH YEA...I'M EXCITED!!!! This is a movie made by the man who made Titanic (also Terminator1-2, Aliens and True Lies) and then thought about this movie for about 12-14 years before making it. This movie is really a pioneer and will be one of the movies your kids will ask you about (considering they're as nerdy and excited about film as I am)...here is the full article thanks to Slashfilm.com http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/19/avatar-re-release-tv-spot-features-new-footage/

7 comments:

  1. I think pulp fiction opened most of our eyes to what movies could truely be, more than just a simple story, climax and resolution but take us on an emotional ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pulp Fiction really turned cinema on its head...magnificent work by Tarantino

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long have I told you to do something like this?! Awesome. I will follow. So spot on about Inception. It feels like the only genuinely original film idea for a while. Loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris...You weren't the only person to tell me to do this...but it was a collective effort that finally got me to do it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Jack -- looks good and should be a lot of fun!

    You asked for ideas for the blog title... How about something like: "JackAttack!" or, to be a bit more topical (& make it kind of self-effacing, which is always an endearing quality): "Jackattack the Movie Hack." From there, you'd be in a good position to ramp up the reach & seriousness of your blog by moving to your own URL if you ever wanted to do that (like, if you want to try to market it & make some money at it) because, IMO, "The Movie Hack" has a great bloggy ring to it and "themoviehack.com" is available (great real estate for a movie blog!).

    Also, you might want to try playing with the fonts you're using because the black-on-dark-gray is kind of hard to read. Otherwise, this looks great. Can't wait to have a little more time so I can read all your posts and throw in my own comments!

    One last thought for now: If you're looking for topics to get people talking and arguing, I've been thinking that, with the recent end of a decade, there really should have been more discussion about what the best films of the decade (2000-2009) were -- like maybe, you post your Top Ten and invite people to comment and post their own, etc. Maybe even a readers poll or something (not sure what the tech capabilities are)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks sam...I'll look into that...I'm not sure how lucrative this will end up being but thanks for ideas...and yea I'm still working with the site I'm not sure of its capabilities are but I'm gonna keep tinkering with it

    ReplyDelete