Like it

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Down by the Bayou





Again another delay. I'm trying to get back into the movie swing of things, but events keep stealing my time. Again thanks for all the support, we're almost at 500 hits!!! Who woulda thunked it?
THE VOTE!
We keep upping the vote tallys...I LOVE IT!!! I'm not a huge fan of Jessica Alba (although she is a very attractive woman) so we decided to go with her worst movie. We got 8 total votes this time around and the worst Jessica Alba movie is (drum roll please)...Honey!!!! Man I feel bad for all of you who have actually seen it and can tell us it's her worst. To bad Miss Alba. I'm sure she won't be on this blog anytime soon.

A little bit of sad movie news...My companion and myself ventured to the Plymouth Meeting Mall this past Friday to catch the re-mastered 25th anniversary of Back to the Future. Yes Back to the Future is 25 years old, which spans my entire life (give or take a few months). We were so pumped!!! We got there early, got good seats, got popcorn and a hot dog, and played a few video games in the arcade. As we saw the crowd flowing in we moseyed on back to our seats and got comfy. 3...2...1...MOVIE START!...movie start? NOOOO, the movie was upside down and not in focus. Ok easy fix, so you'd think. After two visits from the manager and a few unsuccsceful tries later, we were being told of the cancellation of the event. We got a free pass to that same AMC theatre in Plymouth Meeting (like I'll ever go there again), an AMC 25th anniversary poster and a pat on the rear... how upsetting. But we did get to meet these people and see their DeLorean.

One more little tidbit...
Lunchmeat!

A friend of mine by the name of Mike Zebert is doing something I envy. He's writing for a movie magazine with a few (I'm guessing) of his friends. The Magazine is called Lunchmeat. (I believe this is the website http://www.moviemags.com/main.php?title=LUNCHMEAT if its not...Zebes let me know). I got a chance to read through the magazine, or 'fanzine. The guys who write for this 'fanzine, embark on a journey few would take. They watch old horror films that can only be viewed via VHS... some of our younger readers may not even know what that is. Even though I don't do horror, Zebes reassured me that these movies usually fall into the category "so bad they are funny." The writings are highly amusing, as the 4-5 guys go on to describe how badly awesome these movies are. There are some great articles with interviews from horror movie poster artists, to movie composers most may have never heard of. These guys put a lot of work into this magazine and it shows. There is a lot of great content, you won't be able to sit down and read it in one fell swoop. I believe this is a quarterly magainze so you have time to indulge in all the VHS horror madness. Good luck guys and keep up the good work. "Re-animate your VCR" LUNCHMEAT!



Now to our review...
The Princess and the Frog

I choose a movie on a late Sunday night that would be easy to follow and not ask a lot of me. I have a very big soft spot for Disney movies (Aladdin being on my top 10-15 list) and I wanted to stay up to date. So I decided on The Princess and the Frog.

Based on the story of a Prince, cursed to roam the earth as a slimey frog until he can be kissed by a real Princess to break the spell. Disney took this idea and spun it a little. Set in the Bayou of New Orleans during the jazz era, Tiana, played by Anika Noni Rose (From Justin to Kelly, Dream Girls), is a hard working waitress trying to save up for a dream she and her father had when she was little. The dream is to set up a top tier restaurant that is all her own. Prince Naveen, Bruno Campos (Mimic 2, "E.R.","Nip/Tuck") ventures into New Orleans from out of town looking for a rich princess to marry because his rich parents cut him off by the wallet. A voodoo man, known as the Dark Man, Kieth David (Platoon, Armageddon, Pitch Black), sees a way to trick the prince and become King of New Orleans. Disney insanity ensues.

You can't deny that Disney always, always produces a quality film. I've never seen a bad Disney animated movie, and this one did not disappoint. The animation was spectacular, this being the first hand-drawn Disney animated film since Home on the Range in 2004. I'm so happy they "reverted" to this style of animation because it is just breathtaking and you can't help but be glued to the screen. The choice of New Orleans in the jazz era was such a refreshing and bold look for Disney. They nailed the jazzy/bayou/cajun feel. I felt like I've now been to New Orleans during the jazz era because of this film. There's a scene in particular that struck me. The Dark Man sends out these "shadows" to try to capture froggy Prince Nuveen. As the shadows rush into the bayou woods, the camera stays on the trees and we see the numerous, detailed and different shadows rushing by the tree ling, I think i rewound the movie three times to re-watch it.

The characters that were contrived were so on point. The alligator that wants to play jazz, the bayou lightening bug, the dark man, the bayou voodoo women, the southern belle - they were done so well. If a trumpet playing alligator from the bayou during the jazz era was talking to a back woods, yokel, lightening bug from the bayou, I imagine that their conversation would go similar to the one in the movie. The characters, though fictional and animated, felt so right. They fit perfectly.

Music is always a huge part of Disney movies. This movie was nominated for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song for two songs. However, it didn't win an Oscar. The songs were as you would expect from Disney - catchy and fitting. They were a fusion of Disney, New Orleans, jazz, and the bayou that almost got me out of my bed dancing at midnight on a Sunday. My favorite was the one sung by The Voodoo lady in the bayou but I can't recall its name, it really swings.

Other great voice-overs in the movie - Oprah as Momma Eudora (a.k.a. voodoo women), Terrance Howard (Crash, Iron Man, Idlewild) as the mother of Tiana, and John Godman (Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, The Flinstones) as the mayor of New Orleans.

Overall I had a great time watching this movie. the story is a little smashed together in the beginning. You get your heroin, your hero, your villain and the problem within the first twenty minutes. It doesn't feel as well planned or set up as some of the older Disney movies. It doesn't exactly match up with them, but it still has the essence of a Beauty and the Beast, Lion King or Little Mermaid.

The Invisibles Answers

1) American Psycho
2) The Karate Kid
3) The Fast Times at Ridgemont High
4) Office Space
5) Pretty in Pink
6) The Piano
7) The Others
8) Mystic Pizza

If you got them all, shoot you beat me. I only got 5. Who got more than 5? Well, you win!

Netflix Instant Watch of the Week:
Boondock Saints. I hesitate to put this on here as I feel most people have seen this movie. This is more of a cult film, as it did terrible in the box office, and only recently (last 5-6 years) has become really popular. Two Irish brothers decide to take justice into their own hands, "Whattya need tha foocking rope fer?"


Netflix DVD of the week: Natural Born Killers. Talk about a twisted movie. It's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets House of a Thousand Corpses. Ok that might be a little over the top, but its a crazy movie. I can't sum it up so here is the synopsis from IMDB.com: "Two victims of traumatized childhoods become lovers and psychopathic serial murderers irresponsibly glorified by the mass media." Featuring Woody Harrelson, ("Cheers", White Men Can't Jump, The Thin Red Line) Juliette Lewis (The Other Sister, Old Sschool, National Lampoon's: Christmas Vacation) and Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man, U.S. Marshals, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints) among others.



Some movies news....

Batman 3 gets a name and no 3d?
Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestiege, Inception) has finally started talking about Batman 3, and I know I'm pumped. Batman Begins was an amazing piece of filming followed by The Dark Knight which bested its previous title. The upcoming Batman movie, Batman 3, finally has a title: The Dark Knight Rises. Simple, classy, to the point. I think I like it, but who knows, the movie hasn't even started shooting yet. Christopher Nolan has spoken out saying he doesn't really get 3d and would not like to use it. IMAX however is a different story. Nolan says that he wants to keep everything consistent, he wants to "carry on with that look and feel specifically with respect to the large canvas and operatic sweep.” I'm sold. Also in a previous article I read, Nolan said that The Riddler will not be the new villian. Who would you like to see? What would you call the new Batman title? Do you like the title? Check out the rest of the article at Slashfilm.com http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/27/christopher-nolan-offers-detail-skipping-3d-the-dark-knight-rises/#more-91439

Which movie best represents which state
Subtonix (and I don't know who or what they are, I'm to lazy to research it) came up with a map in which a movie is designated to represent each state. Some of these are really good, Idaho = Napolean Dynamite, Oklahoma = Twister, Oregon = The Goonies. There are 3 that I was curious about. California = Fast Times at Ridgemont High, New York = Taxi Drive and Pennsylvania = Groundhog's Day. What do you think, do those movies represent said states?Especially PA? I like Groundhog's Day for PA but I think I would have went with Rocky. Biased? Perhaps. Here's a link to the map, via Slashfilm.com http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ2736560A.jpg

Happy Halloween everyone, trick-or-treat responsibly!! Watch a lot of horror movies, and one for me, cause I don't watch them because they scare me, immensely.

SPECIAL THANKS TO MY NEW EDITOR...THANKS AMY!




No comments:

Post a Comment