Like it

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Asinine and Empathy are the words of the day

Here's your fix for the weekend kids

First our poll where we got a whooping 3 votes, What was your favorite Horror Movie remake, the winner is. Well its a three way tie, each with 1 vote, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, are our winners. I don't even really know why I did this considering I hate horror movies. I did however see the TCM remake and I love Jessica Biel, so I loved the movie.


Now to our review

Sideways
3 1/2 Stars out 5

Sideways (2004), was nomitated for best film in 2004, up against some other heavy hitters like The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby, Ray and Finding Neverland The movie is about Miles (Paul Giamatti Saving Private Ryan, Safe Men, Cinderella Man), a disgruntled English teacher/writer who's life is in a rut after a year divorce with his wife, and Jack (Thomas Haden Church, "Ned and Stacey", 3000 Miles to Graceland, Spider-Man 3) a brass, charismatic actor, who is getting married in a week and wants to have some fun. Miles decides to give Jack a bachelor party going to Wine Country in California, but Jack has other plans. Jack is a scumbag, asshole who's only thoughts on his mind are himself and his crotch area and all Miles wants to do is drink great wine. Drunkenness ensues.

After watching this movie I'm not really sure how this movie got a nod, especially with all those other great movies on the list, not including Finding Neverland. I love Paul Giamatti as an actor, ever little detail of his character has meaning. His facial expressions, his hand gestures, his pauses, his stares, his stutters; all of it makes you feel empathetic with his character. There was no disappointment in this one. (I recommend every movie/show he's in) In the first 20 mins you feel empathy for his character and right away you're routing for him, you're connecting with him. He's disgruntled, heart broken, depressed and down on his luck, who can't relate to that. He's writing a novel with no luck on getting it published and you just feel for this guy. However his counter part THC, is a complete scumbag. You hate to see this guy do what he's doing, snubbing his best friend to get laid before his marriage. The characters are complete opposites for each other which makes for some good drama and comedy.

The music has this great 50's style feel to it making you feel like you're in a lounge room with the rat pack. Also, the way its filmed you'd think the movie was made in the 70's, gritty and real.

The humor is really dry and subtle, but so good. There are many scenes where just a "Are you fucking kidding me" look from Giamatti to THC had me laughing. Also I felt like they were poking a lil fun at wine connoisseurs who, oxidize, and sniff, "There's a hint of honey, and rosemary, and is that Oak I smell in there?" Being ignorant to that kind of stuff made for a good laugh for me.

There are some very depressing undertones to the film, Paul Giamatii's character gains ground and then just gets dropped down two rungs, and you just want him to catch a break.

THC's character really takes abuses the "Life is short" cliche...we understand that, but doing something that will mess up your entire future seems a little asinine.

Over all the movie seems very depressing, where you never really get to feel happy for Miles, although I did enjoy the humor (as it was marketed) but I don't think it was much of a comedy. Very much a guys movie, about wine and mid life decisions.

Invisibles part duex:

Here's your next list of invisible movie shots, have a guess...I knew #'s 1, 3, 5, 6 & 8

1)

2)

3)
4)

5)
6)

7)
8)



Netflix Instant Watch of the Week: HACKERS! Someone in our group has seen Hackers and he was blown away. As he should have been. Let us know if you've seen this amazing masterpiece.
Netflix DVD of the Week
:
Run! Lola Run! No word as to if anyone saw this one yet, this one will literally have you scratching your head.


Name These Quotes: Answers

1) "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time" - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

2) "Check out the big brains on Brett" - Pulp Fiction

3) "You mean sleep over. Well, ok...but I get to be on top!" - Big

4) "Cause I'm trying to describe to you how these DATs keep your ass on the ground, so that if I were to kick you in the balls, and you don't know how to work them, what happens to you?" - Armageddon
5) "I did it when I was a freshman, and you'll do it when you're seniors. Now fry like bacon you little freshman piggies! Fry!" - Dazed and Confused

Some movie news:

More "Adult" Movies
Here is a great article for above average movie goers. This article talks about how we need more "Adult" movies. No, you perverts, not those kind. Adult meaning the opposite of child. Movies that have little moments that adults understand and appreciate and others mainly children (or ignoramuses) just don't understand. It talks about two movies coming out (or are out right now) The Romantics & The American and how these movies are more "adult" movies, not so much blockbuster, hollywood movies, but movies with thought and meaning. If you have a few mins this weekend give it a read, and maybe you'll go from seeing The Last Exorcism or Resident Evil: Afterlife. Compliments of Salon.com http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/the_romantics/index.html?story=/ent/movies/film_salon/2010/09/07/the_romantics_the_american_grownup_movies

Clint Eastwood as Superman or Bond?

That's right, apparently Clint, "Do you feel lucky punk" Eastwood, was offered these two iconic roles in his prime. But "they" and myself don't really see him as The Man o' Steel or Mr. Shaken not Stirred. Read the full article compliments of Slashfilm.com http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/08/trivia-clint-eastwood-was-offered-superman-and-james-bond/

Jumping the Shark...wait what?

So, after 20 years, the guy who wrote the episode where Fonzie "jumps the shark" has finally come out as saying, "yea that was me, but it wasn't my fault". Ok that wasn't verbatim but Fred Fox Jr. finally came out as saying he didn't think it was that big of deal. After that episode they made about 194 more. So he doesn't understand the big deal. Me, I love that saying and probably use it when it doesn't need to be used. Here's the whole article at Slashfilm.com http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/08/lol-screenwriter-who-wrote-the-jump-the-shark-episode-of-happy-days-finally-steps-forward-to-defend-his-work/



Thanks again for everyone (the few of you, haha) that are supporting me, this crap will keep pumping out regardless.


5 comments:

  1. I loved sideways, which I've told you before. I went into it without knowing anythign about it and as such thought it quite funny but as kind of a side order to the main dish of melancholy that is his life.

    Still yet to see Run Lola Run....I will make it my watch of the week!


    Invisibles....
    1. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasuss (with Heath Ledger)
    2. The Hudsucker Proxy (with Tim Robbins)
    3. Shakespeare in Love (Ralph Fiennes)
    5. Invictus (Matt Daaaamon)
    6. Baseketball (Trey Parker and Matt Stone)

    #7 is on the tip of my tongue....im not sure but im going to go with Crimson Tide.

    #s 4 and 8 I don't know!

    I totally agree with the adult film issue. I watched Inception at the Imax on saturday closely followed by Resident Evil: Afterlife in 3D. Big mistake. Going from what is one of the most original and captivating films of the last decade to the lowest depths of studio driven money-grabbing ever.

    Don't get me wrong, I am quite partial to watching inane violence. Precisely because it is visceral and requires no brain power.

    However, that said, I don't think I could justify this film as watchable by any means to any person. It's riddled with plot holes the size of the grand canyon throughout which they gloss over by the simple expedient of ignoring them. I felt dumber upon exit. Had the cinema been showing either The Romantics or the American I would have been there.....alas, this is unlikely in my neighbourhood.

    Finally, I am ashamed of how few quotes I got! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta see run lola run, it will really make you appreciate the "what if this happened instead of that"... good call on some of those invisibles...you def beat me. Accept I knew 8.

    You know whats unreal, they're (studio and director/writer and husband to Jovovich, Paul JS Anderson) talking about making ANOTHER RE...man what people will do for money. I enjoyed the first 2 and some of the 3rd RE's but REALLY!

    And how could you not see more like indie films, u live in London, there has to be a ton of indie film cinemas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh there is, but non one else wants to go with me. I suppose I could go with my sis. She used to work at an art house cinema.

    I know man, I read an interview with Milla Jovovich saying she'll keep doing them as long as people keep wanting to watch them.....when will they realise?

    Dammit man put me out of my misery! What were #7, #4 & #8?

    P.S. Have you seen The Road(Viggo Mortensen a.k.a. Strider)? It's good. I watched it the other night.

    Oh and I have Casa Blanca queued up to watch which I know you will approve of. Run Lola Run is goin on the DL tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to the movies by myself all the time man...no shame in that...if no on wants to go F em.

    And yea I saw the road I did a review of it I think in August...have a read, and yes casablanca has to be in my top 10 if not top 5 fav movies of all time...I love Humphrey Bogart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh true. I was chatting to my flat mate last night about how shit some films are. I shall check out your review of The Road. Didn't watch CasaBlanca last night. I think I'll make some time on the weekend. It's my birthday and I'm at work. sucks to be me.

    ReplyDelete