Like it

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Despicable Scarlett

We have a double dose of reviews today, one being top of the line new, and one being top of the list but is 71 years old!!


Despicable Me!
I'm a very big Steve Carrell fan. So I was excited to see this movie. I knew it was an animated film geared more towards children then grownups...but hey...I'm a grown child. The movie is about Gru (Steve Carell, Bruce Almighty, Anchorman, 40 Year-Old Virgin), a down on his luck thief, who just can't seem to get that big steal to make his name remembered forever. There is another new comer who has stolen the spot light and making it really tough for Gru to accomplish his goal. Vector (Jason Segel, Dead Man on Campus, SLC Punk!, Forgetting Sarah Marshall) has just stole one of the Pyrmids of Giza and Gru has a better idea. THE MOON!!!! Mwa ha ha ha. Part of his master plan is to adopt 3 orphans, Margo (Mirand Cosgrove, The School of Rock), Edith (Dana Gaier), and Agnus (Elsie Fisher) who don't make things an easier for him. Love ensues.

Also with voiceovers are Russell Brand (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Bedtime Stories, Get Him to the Greek) as Dr. Nefario, Gru's sideckick of sorts. Julia Andrews (Marry Poppins, The Sound of Music, The Princess Diaries) as Gru's mother who just never seems to accept his accomplishments. Will Arnett (Ice Age: The Meltdown, Semi-Pro, Monsters vs. Aliens) and Kristin Wig (Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Extract, How to Train Your Dragon) fill minor rolls.

This movie was a delightful surprise. I didn't see it in 3d and I'm pretty happy I didn't because it didn't need it. Steve Carell puts on a good performance as, I'm guessing as a french-american, with funny little quips and funny one liners. My favorite character was Agnus, to cute for words with a few stolen scenes. The story is easy to follow and has its heart warming moments. Not a bad movie to take the kids to see or to see on a date. I feel like Russel Brand was a really bad choice for Dr. Nefario as they could have probably gotten some old actor that would have fit way better. Not that Brand did a bad job. I had some fun with this movie and would recomend seeing it when it comes out for Redbox.

Gone With The Wind!

Ranked #6 on the AFI's top 100 movies of all time. The movie is about Scarlett O'hara (Vivin Leigh), who is the king of all hussy's. She will do whatever it takes to get the man she loves, and save the town she cherishes. Death, Murder, Famine, War, Greed, nothing will stand in her way. However there is one man who knows what kind of women she is and doesn't want to rush her, but loves her, and the type of women she is, selfish, narcissistic and to say the least disdainful. Rhett Butler (Clark Gable). The charming, sweet talking, humorous, daring, dashing (add any kind of suave comment here) man knows he is in and spans time to get her love. All of this is set to the civil war, to add drama.

I really enjoyed this film. It was however rather long, almost 4 hours long. I was routing for Scarlet even though she was queen of the hussys. Marrying men for her own selfish ways, stealing men that weren't her's but were betrothed to her sisters. She got greedy, she fought to save the town that she grew up in and loved but in a petty way. She thought she was in love with another man and swore she was. The mans' wife always sticks up for Scarlet no matter what she does, even embracing her husband in public. She was a pretty wicked person. Rhett Butler however was a cross man, who spent his time worrying about himself, drinking, gambling, spending time with, what I'm guessing were whores. He knew he loved her but couldn't get her to see that he was the man for him. Eventually her selfishways tore away the one man that truly loved her for the real her, and not the fake persona she put on for everyone. His words said it all "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn"

I must say some of the sets were enormous, there is some great scenes of riots throughout the city that looked great, especially for 1939. There was a scene where Rhett saves Scarlett in a horse drawn carriage and I'll be damned if I didn't have a shit eating grin stuck to my face. The feel and music reminded me of those old films where the bad guy with the ominous look in his eyes and sinister mustache has the women on the train tracks and the hero is rushing to save her. There are some gruesome scenes of war and I swear this was some kind of south propaganda. This movie made the south look like the good guys and the north as thieving ravenous beasts, who were ready to rape and pillage all who got in there way. All in all I'm glad I got to see this classic film and hold it in high respect, but I probably won't have another urge to sit down and watch the whole thing.


Name These Quotes:
1) "They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time"
2) "Check out the big brains on Brett"
3) "You mean sleep over" Well, ok...but I get to be on top!"
4) "Cause I'm trying to describe to you how these DATs keep your ass on the ground, so that if I were to kick you in the balls, and you don't know how to work them, what happens to you?"
5) "I did it when I was a freshman, and you'll do it when you're seniors. Now fry like bacon you little freshman piggies! Fry!"

Netflix Instant Watch of the Week: HACKERS! This is one of Angelina Jolie's first movies about some rouge hackers who get blackmailed by a "security" hacker working for a major corporation. Matthew Lilliards in it and he rules!


Netflix DVD of the Week: Run! Lola Run! A great movie about the minor things that can change an outcome. This is a German movie about a girl named Lola who knows something bad is going to happen to her boyfriend and she tries so hard to tell him. They show three different scenarios due to a small change.


A little bit of movie news:
Mad Max 4, crazy amount of stunts!
In the new mad max movie due to come out sometime in 2012 is called Mad Max: Fury Road and the big "action" news is that it will feature 130 cars and bikes and about 300 stunts. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS! I'm a big fan of the mad max movies, that post apocalyptic oil craze its a fun ride. However I'm not a huge fan of remakes, but the director, George Miller, has a weird tract record. He's directed the first 3 Mad Max's followed by a few never heard of's then produced Babe, and directed Babe: Pig in the city, and Happy Feet. Soooo, you tell me. Here's the whole story and some pictures at slashfilm.com http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/02/mad-max-fury-road-will-feature-130-cars-and-bikes-and-298-stunts/

Buried.
So I don't know if anyone has heard of this movie Buried, featuring Ryan Reynolds (National Lampoons: Van Wylder, Just Friends, Waiting). The movie apparently is about a man who is kidnapped while in a middle eastern country and buried alive with a cell phone and a lighter. That's it. With R.R. giving the only on screen performance. Also, apparently the movies is supposed to take place entirely inside the coffin. Well at all the different festivals its played this past summer it got great reviews. Needless to say I'm excited to see it, 1) because I'm curious how the premise will make a good movie and 2) I'm a fan of RR. Here's is the international trailer http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/02/international-movie-trailer-buried/

Thanks again to all the supporters.

3 comments:

  1. Despicable Me. Very good fun....agree with the Russel Brand voicing. They could have used someone who was actually old. I didn't buy it. Thought the rest fo the film was well worked. Didn't know that Julie Andrews was his mum. Good fact.

    First quote is Anchorman (Brian) talking about Sex Panther. The rest are tantalisingly close tot he tip of my tongue. I gotta think on it!

    Hackers - awesome film. Watched it a couple of months ago. So funny. Love the bit where hes in front of the mirror pulling out floppy disks. haha.

    George Miller directed Lorenzo's Oil. Its that film about the kid with a rare brain disorder. The parents try to find a cure. I think it was nominated for an oscar of something. So I guess that adds to the random stuff he does. Dubious about another Mad Max though belated sequels have a tendency to suck....badly.

    Saw the trailer to Buried the other day at the cinema. Looks pretty cool. Actually didn't knwo that it was Ryan Reynolds. I have no idea how it could possibly be drawn out to featyure length though :S

    p.s. finally saw Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World Yesterday and giggled in geeky joy throughout. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yea man marry poppins was gru's mom, I didn't really know until I did a lil research but that's why I get paid the big bux. You got the first quote can't get the rest? haha

    I never heard of Lorenzo's Oil I'll have to check that out, and Buried got rave reviews at the festivals it played...I'm pumped

    belated sequels...I don't know I'm pumped for the new Tron

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeh....I know I know them I just cant be arsed to expend a lot fo brainpower remembering them! lol. Not sure if they should ever have touched Tron. Oh yeah.....and Gullivers Travels looks pretty damn suspect. Jack Black. Seriously?

    ReplyDelete